Friday, November 12, 2010

Ridiculously Easy Salad Croutons

I know it isn't exactly baking and isn't exactly cooking, but the fridge is full of baked goods and I couldn't think of anything to post for today. xD Maybe I'll dig out some of my old pictures and write about them, but for now, I'm letting you in on a secret:

Ready-made croutons are a waste of money. (no duh)


Ridiculously Easy Salad Croutons

Ingredients
1 french baguette (you can use normal bread, if you want)
some form of oil
pinch of salt

Directions
1. Cut the baguette / bread into 1cm cubes and place on top of a baking sheet.
2. Drizzle with some vegetable oil.
3. Pop into a preheated oven at the top rack for 15 minutes at 175 degrees C (350 degrees F).
4. Let it cool and toss with salad or keep in an airtight container.


Notes
- Any vegetable oil can do the trick, it helps with the browning. I seriously don't recommend you using your Italian-imported high-quality extra virgin olive oil. Normal light olive oil will do.
- You could always flavour it with some garlic (or whatever) infused oil you have prior to baking.
- I have heard of people buttering the baguette before cutting it up but I think regular toss-with-vegetable oil is much healthier.

No comments:

Post a Comment