Sunday, November 28, 2010

Daring Bakers' Challenge - Crostata

The 2010 November Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Simona of briciole. She chose to challenge Daring Bakers’ to make pasta frolla for a crostata. She used her own experience as a source, as well as information from Pellegrino Artusi’s Science in the Kitchen and the Art of Eating Well.

I baked a crostata con la crema using the second version of the pasta frolla as well as making the pastry cream chocolate with the help of half a block of some chocolate I had on hand. ^^ This is my first Daring Bakers' challenge and the second try at making the crostata. xD The first one turned out quite horribly for me, I just couldn't roll the dough (I've never rolled dough before, actually) and gah, the other mishaps are just too embarrassing to mention. >.<

I can't really remember much since I baked this quite awhile ago and a lot has happened since then. xD

But I can say that I very much enjoyed making something different for a change. Despite the name of my blog, I actually rarely bake pies and tarts, so this step out of my comfort zone was quite the experience. ^^


I still can't roll out dough, by the way. (the crust you see is the work of pressing down the dough into the cake pan) Yes, I used a springform cake pan, since I didn't have a tart pan on hand. Fortunately, my experience with 'pressing down' cheesecake crusts into pans helped me with constructing the tart crust. xD

Apologies for the Harry Potter crack down the surface of the tart, I should've put a pan of water along with the tart to make it crack-free.

So, yes... First challenge completed~ Can't wait for the next one. ^^

2 comments:

  1. I wanna go all Voldemort on your Harry Potter crostata and destroy it (aka I really, really want to eat it because it looks so divine)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, I love chocolate and this crostata looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete